Last week I took Asterisk to SIPit 17 – the SIP interoperability tests in Stockholm. It was interesting, since the Asterisk SIP stack is designed from ground up not on SIP, but on another channel driver. This means that it is very hard to make the SIP channel fully SIP compatible. It will require a total redesign. After one week of testing, I am not surprised that I have a long list of to-do:s. Asterisk works pretty well with SIP phones connecting directly to Asterisk. As soon as you introduce one or several SIP proxies between Asterisk and the SIP device, you will start seeing odd behaviour.

SIPit was a lot of fun and I learned a lot about SIP. Also, equally important, I got to know a lot of new friends in the SIP community, both from Open Source projects and from commercial vendors. A big thank you to all of you for all the input on how to improve Asterisk. See you at next SIPit!