You are drafted for my IPv6 SIP task force! Here’s our action points:
- Review IETF documents on SIP IPv6 migration. Are all depending on all devices having dual stack? If so, does it really work?
- Test IPv6-only solutions. Do they work? Is it possible to use Asterisk or Kamailio for reaching IPv4 SIP devices?
- Test DNS SRV records. Are they usable to indicate your preference for IPv6 or IPv4 calls to your domain? Will devices support it?
- Check SIP service providers – do they support IPv6 today?
- Check Open Source solutions – is the IPv6 support complete? Does it work both in dual stack and single IPv6 stack mode?
- Check phone manufacturers – does their products support IPv6?
Are there other questions to sort out? Is so, let me know. And let’s make 2011 the year when the SIP world embraced IPv6!